Cobras (was Re: Carroll Shelby)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cobras (was Re: Carroll Shelby)
From: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 11:40:59 -0800
Yes, it's true -- the very opinionated Mr. Shelby *is* still around (for
better or worse) and producing Cobras.  The base Cobra kit with fiberglass
body (no engine/tranny, dress-up items, or wheels/tires) is about $40,000,
and a roller (the base kit assembled) can be had for around $70,000.  This
is over twice the cost of a comparable kit.  Of course, the other kits don't
come with a Shelby American ID plate, and Shelby apparently donates half the
price of these kits to charity.  Word on the Cobra list is that there are
problems with delivery of complete kits of parts and that the quality of the
kit is average at best -- I have no firsthand experience with them, though.
There were also plans for a limited run of aluminum bodied 427 S/C Cobras
that would pick up where the original serial numbers left off.
Unfortunately, $250,000 won't fit on the "amount" line on my checks =8^p...

In case you've made it this far and are still interested, I'm looking into
building an ERA 427 Cobra kit that will be dressed out more like the
original ACs -- chrome trim but no side pipes or hood scoop.  I love the
lines of this car, and a big honkin' merkin V8 and drive line drops right
in!  BTW, I believe these kits also help keep alive a bit of our LBC
heritage as AC replicas repopulate the US highways and home-building brings
the British (post WWII, in particular) tradition of small assembly shops to
our shores.

So, to anyone who wants to contribute to the Cobra fund and help Malibu
Barbie's Dream Car get a new BIG little sister, just e-mail your
contributions to...

-Me!

 --
Schuyler E. Grace