[TR-6] A new place for an oil leak

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [TR-6] A new place for an oil leak
From: Dean Paige <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 15:01:12 -0800
Well, I thought I had seen oil leaking from everplace it could on the
TRs. I wuz wrong! On the way to work this morning I noticed a drop in oil
pressure eventually reading 10 lbs on the guage with moments of 0. Pulled
into a strip mall to check things out. Found oil on the frame and engine
on the left sidr near oil pump, filter and dipstick. After pouring in 3
quarts from the Quickee Mart, (Thank you Apu @ $2.69/qt. mmmmm pricey) I
cranked it over and was actully relieved to find oil seeping rather
profusely out of the connectors for the oil pressure/anti run on switch.
Some of you will remember that I had recently had problems with this
unit. Since I have virtually no problem with dieseling my temporary
solution was to just disconnect it. So... the lesson here is if you've
got a nonfunctioning three prong oil pressure switch beware! Evidentally
some kind of internal seal/diaphgram ruptured here. It will be
intersesting to take the thing apart and see just what did happen. I'm so
glad I'm a guage watcher and this didn't happen when the H (Helena) was
driving. H loves the cars (TR and XJ) but her concept of mechanics is "If
it doesn't work... force it!". The use of guages is completely beyond
her. She herself is a force to be reckoned with. The Jag "her car" plates
read KRPTNIT cause it is a a well accepted fact in our circles that she
could bring Superman to his Knees.

By the way the fix this time was to install a plug in place of the switch
and to stop procrastinating and order the switch from Moss..

Merry Merry

Deano