Re: Rear Road Spring Direction

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Road Spring Direction
From: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 22:41:39 -0500
Cc: SSwan60 <SSwan60@aol.com>, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Joe Curry wrote:

> SSwan60 wrote:
>
> > On whether the rear spring is stamped front or not.  I put a swing spring
>from
> > a 1500 Spitfire in my '67 GT6 this spring and the spring was clearly stamped
> > "FRONT" on the main leaf.  I took the spring apart for cleaning and painting
> > before I noticed it.  It put it back in with at least this leaf facing the
> > right direction but was not sure about the other leafs.
> >
> > Scott Swanberg, St. Paul, MN
> > '67 GT6
>
>  Scott,
> Thanks for the report.  I'll have to examine the main leaf on mine when I
>take it
> apart and clean it up prior to installation this winter.
>
> Joe Curry

  Scott,
Yes, thanks for your comments.  I have cleaned the spring and can testify that
there
is no "front" stamped anywhere.  There is, however, a machined edge (as
referenced in
the Haynes manual) as being the front of the spring.  I think the only way I'll
get
an education from this is to reinstall it according to the manual and determine
if
there is a difference.  I would be interested in hearing more of your painting
of the
spring.  Since the leafs' need to "slide" for the spring to work properly, my
notion
was/is not to paint it -- but to merely give it a liberal coating of white lith.
grease.

Regards,
Ed Hamilton