Re: fair price...my story.... dont feel bad

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: fair price...my story.... dont feel bad
From: "Jane Burdekin" <burdekij@bvsd.k12.co.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 16:14:57 -0700
Dave,
I absolutely agree with your moral.  Been there, done that.  My GT6 went to
the High school body shop to be painted too.  The paint job and body work
look pretty good, I was working there at the time, and checking on it
fairly regularly but I missed the day they unhooked the electrical.  They
cut every wire to every light.  I just couldn't believe the teacher would
teach that especially since they unhook so easily on an lbc.  I would just
have to say, do it yourself is your best bet.

Jane
'67 GT6

> First, the moral of the story or stories...  if you want it done right,
do
> it yourself!  Now,  to find sufficient cash on hand to be "idly rich" so
we
> can be working on our cars all the time......
>

> In the spring of 1990 I took my beloved TR4a (now re-restoring) to a high
> school auto body shop.  Ya, I know, first mistake.  The story is, though,
> my cousin was in autoshop then and she said they "had done a TR4 the year
> before".  I beleived her  and the instructor when he said "they worked on
> all kinds of these over the years" and then expounded on 30 years of
> autobody.... bla bla bla.
>
> I specifically asked for rockers to be done, pass. floor, and rust repair
> and respray.  I also TOLD him I wanted  the fender beading saved as it
was
> integral to the look of the car.  Ie:  I didn't want a Sunberam Alpine
job
> done to it!  Guess what they did, after having the car for a year?  Yup.
> My cousin dropped out of school - preggies - I never heard that part
until
> it was too late.  The instructor was an a@#h!@e who cared nothing for the
> project.  It was a "favor".  On the BILL,  they elaborated almost $300 in
> materials and wrote "unable to complete project - parts promised not
> delivered".  Of course,  the two factory stamped rockers I delivered were
> chopped short so they didn't have to remove the front fenders!  Etc Etc
Etc.

> Enough?
>
> Oh ya,  after I refused to pay and threattened legal action if they
didn't
> restore the bolt-on-ness of the rear section,  they did that.  Only it
was
> done ,poorly, like the rest, with a large hammer,  16 ga. plate steel,
mig
> AND brass, and lots of bondo.  The chrome strips were "lost".  They
> destroyed the TR6 steering wheel - the only part I left on the car and
only
> so they could steer.
>
> I am now doing it "right" the second time.  It will take me until the
next
> century arrives and I will no doubt use up more welding wire,  sheet
steel,
> and time than a pro would, but I will ha ve only myslef to thank or curse
> at the result.
>
> My GT6,  body and paint farmed out in barter,  is only "slightly" more
> acceptable.  Ya, it looks good until you get picky,    but most of us
> listers seem "picky"  by "professional" standards.  I think I'll do the
> whole project just for the satisfaction!
>

> Good luch and happy airbrushing!
>
> Dave Terrick
> Winnipeg
>
> PS  don't even start me on the exploding TR6 engine "professional shop"
story.