Re: WD-40, a lubricant?

To: Chris DeStaffany <sjmeds@rockisland.com>
Subject: Re: WD-40, a lubricant?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:08:32 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Chris DeStaffany wrote:

> Fellow listers;
>
> In the discussions of lubricating fan motors, I have noticed concepts that
> are confusing me (imagine that from a Triumph owner).  It appears that some
> people are using WD-40 as a lubricant.  It is my understanding that WD-40
> was developed by NASA as a water displacer (hence WD).  Any lubricating
> effect last only until the liquid evaporates, from a few hours to a few
> days.  It's ability to stop squeeks and the like, as far as I can acertain,
> is from attacking corrosion.  I frequently use it to thin oil applied to

Sigh.  I wish my econobox could figure this out.  I sprayed WD40 at the
outside mirror 2 years ago and it still flops over when I slam the door...
There is a liquid that 'disappears' (WD40 calls it a carrier) but there's
also oil in there... and you don't need much in a bearing.  If it's
anything like machine oil, it will stay on the surface for a _long_ time.

-Malcolm