Re: Engine Swaps - What about stopping?

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: Engine Swaps - What about stopping?
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 98 14:32:59 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John McEwen wrote:
        > Just because you have improved the power, it doesn't necessarily
follow
        > that the brakes are going to be suddenly unacceptable.  A good driver
-
        > providing he isn't racing - doesn't need to use his brakes any more
often.

John,
        I believe a case could be made for upgrading the brakes even if
the engine remains stock (I have!).  The reason?  New tire technology.
With my limited open-track experience, I note that my times ar considerably
better than cars in SCCA events in the 70s, even when they were running
"slicks" (eg, Blue Streaks).  My car does not produce any more power, and
I'm not that great a driver, but I always find my brakes die.  I put this down
the fact that I am entering and exiting corners much faster on todays tires;
this in turn adds extra liability for the brakes.  Sure I use new technology
pads and Dot 5.1 brake fluid, but after a few hot laps, they are cooked!
        Granted the track situation is very different to a road situation,
but a spirited run through the canyons on new tires will impact brake
performance.

        Shane Ingate, runnin' out of brakes in a smog-legal 1974 Triumph.