Re: Brake Drums

To: Robert Van and Ann Cross <vancross@visuallink.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Drums
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 17:52:24 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Robert Van and Ann Cross wrote:

> What kind of paint do you use to paint the exterior of the rear brake drums?
> I have considered a flat black or gloss black engine paint but can only get
> it in a spray.  The drums are on the car (TR3A) and I'd rather brush than
> spray.  Woulk something like Rustoleum work?  Do the drums get that not as
> to need a high temperature paint?  Thanks for all your input.

My vote is cast for high-temp paint.  Normally your drums don't get too
hot (discs run hotter)- but I notice that after braking heavily on a rainy
day driving home, when I get up the driveway my tires are dry in the
middle, even if the rest of the car is wet.

So there's enough heat to quickly evaporate water... and you'll feel bad
if your wheels start to smoke going down a hill.

If you can't find a brush on paint, then it shouldn't be much bother to
take the drum off, find a flat surface, plug the 7 holes (corks and
pencils come to mind) and spray away.

This is assuming, of course, that you have the outdoor space to use spray
paints...!

-Malcolm