Re: Quote [was LBC Software wishes, no LBC content]

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: Quote [was LBC Software wishes, no LBC content]
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 23:45:29 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Shane F. Ingate wrote:

> All,
>
> Don Sforza (vinttr4@forbin.com) points out a mistake in the
> quote by Carl Alexis.  Don reminds us that "illigitimus" is the singular...
> should be "illigitimi"
>
> I rechecked my reference, and lo and behold, the quote is:
>
>         "Illigitimi non Carborundum"

Nice to know there are still a _few_ Latin scholars among the ranks of
the living... reminds me of a story my father tells of when he was a
navigator on KC-135 tankers in the Air Force. The squadron commander had
decided, for some strange reason, that every crew should have a plaque
made with a phrase that suggested the crew's mission statement. This
plaque was to be hung outside the pilot's window as the planes were
taxiing in after each mission.

After a couple of beers, and apparently very little foresight, one of my
father's crew suggested a very fancily engraved plaque with the motto in
Latin--when they first displayed it as they were taxiing in, they
figured the squadron commander would be much impressed... instead they
got a dressing-down. They'd forgotten that the man spoke five languages,
and could read and write Latin. The motto? "We pass gas." <g>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....