Re: 1963 tr4 facia panel restoration

To: brignolo@sutmyn.com
Subject: Re: 1963 tr4 facia panel restoration
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:47:54 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
TR4 (and probably TR3) folks.  Any good advice on this subject for Giancarlo?
Thanks.
Art Kelly

In a message dated 98-03-17 11:05:00 EST, brignolo@sutmyn.com writes:

> I have a 1963 tr4. The facia panel is white. It has some scratches and
>  discoloring that looks like rust. What are your suggestions on "making it
>  new" again? How to sandpaper, paint it, and how to remove the gauges and
>  remove the facia panel from the car.
>
>  thanks [Giancarlo Brignolo]

Giancarlo, I'm going to foward this to the "triumph list".  There are several
folks there who have recently restored the metal dash on their TR4 (and TR3)
cars.  I'm sure they will give you much more detailed information than I can.
(My car came with the wood dash as original equipment and the metal dash which
you have is not even behind the wood).

Gauge removal is fairly simple.  First disconnect the battery because the
wires for the gauge lights will short out when you start messing around the
dash.  Once that is done,  reach up behind each gauge and you will be able to
feel the cables and electrical wires.  Look at your Haynes or Bentley manual
for a diagram of what is there.  On the four smaller guages there is a small
bracket which holds each gauge snug against the back side of the dash.
Unscrew the small nuts which hold each gauge bracket and remove the bracket.
Then pull the gauge FORWARD (toward the cockpit) out of the dash.  The light
bulb wires/sockets will be readily apparent.  Just remove the bulbs.

The speedo and tach are a little more difficult.  First reach up behind and
disconnect the speedo and tach cables.  Next feel for the three nuts around
the back rim of each gauge.   Again - after the nuts are off - pull the gauges
forward (into the cockpit) and disconnect the wires.

Another suggestion.  If your gauges are dirty or cloudy - this would be a good
time to open them up and clean and reseal them.  If you want to do this, it is
fairly simple and if done carefully, well worth it.  Give me a shout if you
want to do this also.

If something is not clear or you have more questions, please don't hesitate to
ask.  I am one who believes there is no such thing as a "stupid question".
(only stupid answers). :-) Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant