[Fwd: Fuel Pump mystery substance]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Fuel Pump mystery substance]
From: Craig Smith <smi2685@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:48:20 -0500
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 09:54:20 -0500
From: Craig Smith <smi2685@ibm.net>
To: 102720.3264@compuserve.com
Subject: Fuel Pump mystery substance

Hello,
I have a 1972 Spitfire that I am restoring, it sat in a barn with a dirt
floor for about 9 years.

I had to do a lot of welding and part replacement on the bottom pans to
get it solid again but my main question is this:

I removed the fuel pump and took off the top to inspect the isnside
screen and diaphram, when I opened the top it was packed with a white
powder. The powder was hard in spots but soft above the screen. What in
the wide wide world of cars is this stuff ?  Old Gas ? if so gasoline
doesn't have that many solids does it ? Can I clean this mess up or just
buy a new pump ?

thanks !

Craig Smith
smi2685@ibm.com