Possible distributer woes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Possible distributer woes
From: "Alan Camhi" <camhi@symbol.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 11:50:50 -0500
Hi Everyone,

Upon reviewing my ignition system on my TR4 last night I noticed that compared
to my Bentley manual, my wire layout coming from the dizzy cap to each plug is
90 degrees out of phase.

I did not notice the position of the rotor when the crank is at top dead center
but I'm thinking it will line up with the #1 position on the cap.  If this is
the case, then I guess it shouldn't matter as far as running conditions.  If it
does not line up.............

Here is my question(s)

1. Would a car run and if so, would the difference be noticeable if the firing
sequence on the distributor was off by 90 degrees?

2.  I have the feeling, the DPO fiddled with the distributor and put it back
out of phase or possibly a couple of teeth out of phase.  Can a timing
adjustment fix this or does the dizzy need to be removed and re-situated?

3.  What gear causes the dizzy to turn.  Could the dizzy have been replaced in
an incorrect alignment with this gear or is there a mechanism that allows for
it to be aligned correctly every time?

I' ve gotten the RPM's down to 800 and she is puttering at about 3 putts per
second.  I don't know if this is normal.  All my other cars had more definitive
and strong idle sounds.

I do not have any vaccuum leaks and I have cleaned  and regapped my points and
plugs.  HELP!!!!!!!!

As always, any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Alan Camhi