Re: The dreaded 'clunk'.

To: Matt Kennedy <matt@telsoft.co.nz>
Subject: Re: The dreaded 'clunk'.
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 20:41:53 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> ... '67 GT6 developed a nasty 'clunk' somewhere in the
> rear right corner when acc/decelerating and over bumps.
> Also noticeable; when cornering to the left, backing off the gas produces
> said clunk and the tail 'flicks' alarmingly to the right.  Doesn't occur
> when cornering to the right, and I'm sure it didn't happen before...

There's always the "usual" u-joint problem, but what you describe doesn't
"sound" like that. I'd look at radius arm bushings and the vertical link
trunnion bushings. I'd also check to see how solidly the radius arm is
mounted to the body. Rust can cause that area to weaken or separate
completely, and that does cause the symptoms you describe (been there,
done that).

And I'd start looking REAL SOON; that really doesn't sound safe!

--Andy