HELP - TR3 Steering "Idler Lever"

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: HELP - TR3 Steering "Idler Lever"
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 12:52:06
I've been trying to disconnect to the Idler Lever from the steering linkage
without destroying the Silentbloc bush.  These assemblies are still on the
car.  I've soaked, pried and gently pounded with a vice grip or two
applying a constant load between the nut/stud end of the silentbloc and the
idler lever arm, but it has not budged.

Does anybody have any ideas about how to seperate these pieces, or any
advice on how to replace the silentbloc bush, if I end up destroying it in
the process.  I am trying to do all of this with the parts still on the
car, which may be my greatest error.  I'd just trash the silentbloc bush
and install a new one, but I've heard installing the silentbloc bush is
extremely difficult, although it doesn't look too difficult to me.  Of
course, aligning the engine rear main oil seal, with the engine and crank
in the car, didn't look hard to me either.  :-(

Is there a difficulty or special technique to installing a new silentbloc
bush?

Thanks in advance,

Jack Brooks
TS69032L