Re:Spit timing clarification

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re:Spit timing clarification
From: gbowley <gbowley@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:03:56 -0400
Thanks for the input, although I feel some clarification is due on my
part.
I was speaking more in terms of setting dynamic timing. I was not sure
if I should use the timing value given for the earlier year car that has
the points type distributor, or should I use the value for the real year
of the car (1975)? I'm not sure if the values are critical for the
performance of the engine for that particular year. Maybe the timing
values are different just because of the changeover to the electronic
distributor? Haynes gives the following values:
1500 models:
Except N. America......................10 degrees BTDC
N. America:
To 1976......................................2 degrees ATDC (with vacuum
line connected)

I'm not sure if the 10 degrees BTDC is with or without the vacuum line
connected.
Tuning the car to 2 degrees ATDC seems to work OK WITHOUT the vacuum
line connected, it just won't run with it connected.
I will say the car seems to run OK with the timing set at 12 degrees
BTDC with the vacuum line connected, this is the way I purchased the
car.
The reason this whole subject came up is because I'm due for the
infamous emissions test. Connecticut recently tightened regulations, and
I'm afraid I might not pass this year!

Again, thanks for any input!!
Glenn