Re: how much are TR4s selling for now??

To: TRAHMG <TRAHMG@aol.com>
Subject: Re: how much are TR4s selling for now??
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:53:45 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, TRAHMG wrote:

> Here's a question for all you price experts:  i have a '64 TR4 in the process
> of a body-off restoration and i am considering installing a complete, custom
> stereo setup.  but i want to know how it's going to affect the value:  will it
> go up because of the time/money for the custom installation or will it go down
> because it lost it's vintageness (no, that's not in the dictionary but hey u
> know what i mean) from modifying the body slightly to accomadate speakers,
> etc...  ????

IMHO the money you spend on a "pro" install will be somewhat lost- you'll
never be able to get it all back.  On the other hand you can't get back
the $$$ that gets sunk into a body-off resto.  I say, go for it...
remember, radios were a dealer-installed option, as were mirrors... so
there's always a bit of fuzziness when it comes to "totally original"
cars.

It's my guess that if you do a *proper* install, carefully, that you will
increase the value of the car.  On my TR4 there are 4" speakers up front,
to give your kneecaps the full benefit of the hi-fi sound.  They're
mounted in a hole in the foot well.  (...right under the drain pipe for
the scuttle vent)... consequently they rusted out and went from $85 value
to $0 value.  If I wanted to originalize (another non-word!!) my car I'd
have to fill in these holes, probably about a $100 welding job, if I
farmed it out.

If you put speakers up front I suggest weatherproofing them religiously.
I am going to install a styrene enclosure around the (replacement) front
speakers.

As for the Dreaded Numbers, I figure a $1000 installed stereo will bump
the asking cost up $800 or so.  It depends on the market, and how much
your prospective buyer will wish to pay for extra sound.

I have an 80 watt system in the TR4.  6 speakers, tape deck, no CD.  Loud
enough to hear with the top down (but it does do funny things to the
ammeter ;-)), but I had to replace all but the door-mount tweeters.  My
car is nowhere near "original" anyway, so I'm going for my own personal
creature comforts.

> oh ya, while i'm writing, i was curious what the most common engine upgrade
> people use to get extra power/reliability, etc.

If you don't have 'em, SU carbs are nice to have.  An exhaust header is
supposed to work well.  I have a TR4A engine in my car, with 87mm pistons
(I think) & SU HS6s- fast enough for me.

-Malcolm   http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/RUSTY.HTM
'62 TR4
132 mph max