re: Gas in Oil (no LBC content)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: re: Gas in Oil (no LBC content)
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:52:52 -0500
Rod Knox writes <<Apparently 1961 was the last year any manufacturer made a
fuel pump where
it was possible for the gas to get into the oil.>>

I wish this were true.  This is the standard failure mode for Corvair
mechanical fuel pumps.  They
are an excellent design and last for years, but when they fail, they dump fuel
directly into the crankcase.
Engine failures due to this problem are not an everyday occurance, but do
happen.  (The lucky  ones
end up with a nice and clean lubrication system!)

I just bought a Corvair-powered dune buggy.  Built around '70 and stored from
new... never started or driven.
Gas tank is physically mounted above the fuel pump.  Tank was empty, crankcase
full. Very full.

Bill Elliott
TR6, Corvairs, and other toys