Spit / GT6 Dampers Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit / GT6 Dampers Question
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:04:20 +0100
     Greetings to all friends old and new.  I've been off the list for a
     while, but I'm now back online and moving on with the Spit
     restoration.

     As some (with good memories) may remember, I'm going down the well
     trodden route of using a GT6 engine in the Spitfire.  I know that GT6
     front springs have to be used to compensate for the heavier unit, but
     why do the parts lists show different dampers?  Is it all to do with
     rebound rates.  I really want to know if my little used Spax
     adjustables (from when the car was only 1500cc) will be up to the job,
     or if I need to save up another £120 for GT6 ones.

     Incidentally, while lurking last week I followed the thread on
     upgraded brake callipers.  I've also heard that a good half-way house
     is to use Ford Capri 2.8 callipers.  The Princess / Rover SD1 4-pot
     callipers may be too much for general GT6 / Spit usage.

     Cheers

     Pat