Yeah, more on overdrives....

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Yeah, more on overdrives....
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 01:34:19 -0700
There have been some questions lately which have dealt with overdrive
specifics, but my question here is a bit more general. Having discovered
that a DPO had installed a 3.89:1 rear in the GT6 I now own, I was faced
with literally wearing out a tired engine prematurely because of
excessive revs at speed, or finding an o/d transmission. I found one.
Since that o/d has come from an aging wreck without firm credentials,
I'm without a clue as to items to look for when rehabilitating the unit.
I have no experience with overdrives of any kind, having never been
close to them, and would be interested in any comments from D-type
owners as to what to look for during disassembly and rebuilding. I've
ordered what I consider to be essential parts--gaskets, bearings, hub
springs for the trans (synchros look pretty good), clutch roller
bearings, return springs for the sliding member, etc.

I don't know of any reliable means of checking the friction facing of
the sliding member (can this be roughly gauged as a sort of riveted item
as old brake shoes were once made--i.e., friction facing worn to the
rivets--time to replace), and so forth. I'm in virgin territory and
would prefer to listen to the cumulative wisdom of those who have been
there before me, rather than to press on regardless. <g>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....