Re: TR3B gas tank

To: Lftlesl@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3B gas tank
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 08:07:43 -0400
Les,

This is absolutely normal for a TR3!  When I was in your position
I coated the tank inside to insure the leaks did not get past the
plug.  Gas will eat the polyester resin in the fiberglass patch.
These tank coating kits can be bought from numerous sources (Moss,
Eastwood, Bill Hursh, et al) but basically consist of an acid wash
to clean out the rust and prep the surface, and a  butyl (?) rubber
compound that forms the coating.  Some have not been too pleased
with the results; however, I used these on a '60 TR3 and a '65
Triumph 1300 with good success.

Bruce Clough
'62 TR4 whose gas tank doesn't leak - yet