Re: Antifreeze (was Re: TR-3 crank)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Antifreeze (was Re: TR-3 crank)
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 13:53:20 +0200

> Art, Sumner,
>
> My own experience is go very easy on the anti-freeze when the car is in
> service, using some mostly to inhibit corrosion.  When I last put in the
> 50% mix and drove, the stuff just kept burping out the overflow!
>
> Oh, I also use distilled water to avoid mineral buildup.  It has a
> slightly exotic air ("Oh no, nothing but the best for my little car.")
> but it's really pretty cheap, so you win both ways!
>
> In Minnesota, we have serious winter (as in 168 hours below 0F in 1995)
> and I store my car. At that time I either drain the cooling system
> completely or install 50% anti-freeze/water.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris Amley

My experience is that itīs best to have water with a good anti freeze topped up
all the time. Thatīs because some water and humidity stays if you drain the
cooling system. The rust protection from the coolant has gone and your radiator
starts rusting or proceeds rusting inside. Rust and rust particles that come
loose after filling and driving next time will do more harm than you can
prevent
by using new distilled water every year. Itīs cheaper also because you will
need
to change the water with coolant only about every three years.

Gerhard

1969 TR 6