Re: Windscreen replacement

To: "Hector Agostini" <agostinihp@earthlink.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Windscreen replacement
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:28:54 +0100

Hector Agostini wrote.....

>Hi there,
> Can someone give me some tips on how to get a windscreen and
>windscreen rubber on a Stag?  I have had a devil of a time.  I tied
>the rubber (top and Bottom)thin string to keep the rubber on the screen
>while trying to insert the whole thing in the aperture as outlined in
>the manual.  I then put a thick cord where the rubber seals against
>the windscrren aperture.  As i press down and pull the cord, the rubber
>snaps back so the the seal closes off before the metal of the aperture
>goes into the rubber slot.
> Any suggestions sould be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks         Hector

Hi, Hector,

When I did a piece about this is 'Practcial Classics' some years ago, the
owner of the Stag had devised a method.

What he did was to assemble the screen and rubber AND the stainless steel
inserts before fitting the whole lot to the car. He maintained it worked for
him.

What I've found when fitting screens is that you need two people's help.
Start as before and, when the thick cord is in place, get your helpers to
apply a fairly heavy downward pressure on the screen/rubber assembly. If
they do this and also stop the assembly from slipping forwards out of the
aperture, the rubber has little choice but to go in.

It also helps to use a lubricant. I use a weak mix of washing-up liquid in
water, applied with a brush-some use talcum powder, apparently. Also, when
persuading the corners into place, especially the upper ones, rotate your
pulling hand in a circle about 9" diameter, keeping the strain on in the
direction you're heading. This helps 'work' the rubber into place.

Above all-do not twist the glass- it will only bend once:-)

Good Luck,

Dave Hill, UK

'72 2.5PI, '86 Scimitar SS1.