Re: SU Needles and things

To: "Irwin Armstrong" <armstrong@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: SU Needles and things
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 22:38:05 +0100
Cc: "Gernot Vonhoegen" <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>, <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Irwin Armstrong wrote.....

>I would think 23 mpg is not bad for a 70's 2.5l car - I average around that
sort
>of figure.
>Irwin

Thanks, Irwin,

I have to disagree with you on this one. I am using a rev. limit of 3,000
and for most of the time, the car rarely exceeds 2,000rpm. Nevertheless, the
car still has black plugs and tail pipe and I'm convinced it's still running
rich.

My brother's '70 TR6 PI returned 27mpg driven fairly hard-before it was
fixed, its best shot was 12 mpg!

Of course, I respect your figures and stand to be corrected. I have a '74
road test of the 2.5S and the tester at 'Motor' got 22.2mpg overall and a
calculated 26.8mpg touring consumption. Bearing in mind that 'Motor's'
testers were known to hammer cars, I reckon that makes my car's consumption
heavy. Perhaps a contemporary test on the PI might shed some light on the
matter?

In any event, thank you for your input,

Cheers,

Dave Hill, UK.