TR3A Generator- rebuild or replace?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3A Generator- rebuild or replace?
From: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com (Kinderlehrer's)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 00:15:41 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,

Under the category of "if it's not one thing, it's another", went for a
ride today and after about half an hour, the red light came on and stayed
on, so I husseled myself back home as quick as I could.

Actually, it would dim if I got the revs up high enough, which led me to
believe it was more than a loose wire. The ammeter seemed to stay pretty
much neutral the whole time, not charging and discharging only with turn
signals.

I know I have to get a volt meter and check it out properly, but what else
could it be? Voltage regulator???

Assuming it is the generator, should I throw in some new brushes or convert
to an alternator?  Can I convert with a straight bolt on without having to
fabricate any new parts? I remember some posts on the subject referring to
a machine shop.

I did read the VTR manual on conversions, the electrical conversion looks
easy enough.

As alway, your individual and collective wisdom is much appreciated.

Bob