RE: What year GT6?

To: "'AFilson@harland.net'" <AFilson@harland.net>
Subject: RE: What year GT6?
From: "Theis, Karl J" <karl.j.theis@lmco.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:39:47 -0600
Cc: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
        I previously owned a '70 MKII and currently have an early '67 MKI
and a later '68 MKI.  I have always lusted after the MKIII's and in my
opinion you can't go wrong with any of them.
        The early MKI's have high compression motors (9.5:1) that puts out
nearly the same horsepower as the MKII's.  On later MKI's the compression
was dropped to 8.5:1 to meet emissions and consequently horsepower dropped
about 10hp.  Handling on the MKI's can be improved to near MKII levels by
replacing the rear spring with the 'swing spring' style used on late model
Spitfires and also using the front anti-sway bar from the same car.  This
mod can be done cheaply (less than $200) if you use junkyard parts.  MKI's
can be purchased for less money than the MKII's and MKIII's.  MKI's are
basic cars, MKII's are improved and have a more "boy racer" attitude about
them and the MKIII's are more refined, but down on horsepower.  If I was in
the market for another GT6 I would probably look for an early MKIII or
'settle' for another '70 MKII.
Having said that, I am perfectly happy with my '67.  It is fast, fun, great
looking, reliable, easy to maintain and easier to fix when it breaks,  which
is rarely (knock on wood).  I do miss not having a ragtop, though.
Good luck,
Karl