Re: Needle Jet Adjustments on Strombergs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Needle Jet Adjustments on Strombergs
From: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@earth.nwu.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 15:07:49 -0500

Bob Allen (boballen@sky.net) wrote:

>I noticed that there seems to be no mechnism to hold the
>needle jet in position. That is, using the Allen wrench to make
>counter-clockwise turns of the jet needle to lean the mixture, there seems
>to be little interference to get the needle to hold a position.
>
>What can be done to assure the needle jet will hold it's position once a
>proper mixture setting is determined? I don't think the grub screw on the
>side of the air valve helps here. It just prevents the jet from falling out.
>The threads in the adjustment seems to be pretty loose. I can't find any
>locking mechanism for needle jet position.
>
>I am inclined to use a dab of blue LocTite on the threads prior to trying to
>tune the mixture. Is that a good idea?

I am wondering the exact same thing. What about Permatex, the hardening
kind? I put a smidgen of the non-hardening stuff in there, but that didn't
do the trick. Please send any thoughts on this matter to me directly or to
the list as well as to the original poster (Bob). Thanks!

Eric.

Eric A. Yates
eyates@earth.nwu.edu
1978 Spitfire 1500