Re: Fuel Delivery (Again) - '72 TR6

To: "Georgas, Bill (MCI)" <Bill.Georgas@mci.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Delivery (Again) - '72 TR6
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:49:04 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill,

        It seems that your problems can be one of two things - the fuel
        pump and/or stuck float valves. It seems that you tested the pump -
simmply
        disconnect the outlet and manually simulate the pump action with the
        handle on the bottom. If gas spurts out, (not a simple drip), then the
        fuel pump seems OK. Now that I'm writing this, It may not be your float
        valves. I say this because, my '72 TR6 had a badly adjusted valve
and my car
        still ran, very poorly, but did run. So unless, both valves are out of
        wack, I suspect clogged lines somewhere. Big help,huh! When you took out
        your tank, you might have dislodged some rust. Check the screen filter
        in the fuel pump. When I did my tank, I cleaned the line from the
tank to
        pump with pressurized water, then with alcohol. Also disconnect the fuel
        lines at the carbs. Manually pump some gas and verify that equal amounts
        of gas is being delivered to the carbs. Hope this helps.

        Jeff N.

At 08:56 AM 9/3/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Help.....!
>
>A while back some of you may remember I had some fuel delivery problems in my
>'72 TR6.  Ended up that there was so much scale and rust in the tank, that is
>blocked the outlet.  So, out came the tank (boy, was that fun.....), and it
went
>to a radiator shop to be cleaned/treated.  I also replaced the mechanical fuel
>pump with a new one from Moss.
>
>A couple of nights ago I was tooling down the expressway, and you guessed
it, it
>died, no gas in the floats, plenty in the inline fuel filter (glass).  So here
>are my questions....:
>
>-  Anyone have any experience with relatively new pumps failing?  I
>cleaned/checked the fuel filter, and cranked it a while, but it does not seems
>like the pump is pulling fuel.  It does seem like fuel is flowing from the
tank,
>i.e., no obstructions from the tank to the pump inlet.
>
>-  Are there any check I can do on the pump?  I guess I can remove the cover in
>place, and see if the mechanical action is good, and check the diaphragm.  Any
>other ideas?
>
>-  I think I remember a thread a while back regarding the installation of
>electric pump.  Does anyone have a synopsis of that discussion?  (Sorry to
>rehash a dormant thread)
>
>I've had to drop off real-time delivery of list messages, I'd appreciate any
>direct replies.  Thanks in advance.....
>

>Bill
>bill.georgas@mci.com
>972 273 1714 - Voice/Fax
>www.ispsvcs.mci.com

Jeff C. Nathanson
Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.