Re: TR3 windscreen question

To: coday@localaccess.com
Subject: Re: TR3 windscreen question
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 22:46:04 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< PO had removed the windscreen, lost the screws and put it back
 together with sheet metal tapping screws.  Not exactly the right
 pitch or finish for the TR3.  Also stored the car out in the weather
 for a year or two so the screws have rusted in place pretty darn
 well.

 I can't stand this, so I take it apart, but of course several of the
 tapping screws snap off despite the penetrating oil treatment.

 So, I have to get these drilled out, get the holes re-tapped, find
 screws to fit etc.

 I figure the easiest way to do this is to remove the glass, but
 apparently this has been tried before as the screws in the lower
 corners are also pretty much hopeless.

 Any suggestions on how to get this windscreen frame apart?  Once I
 get the glass out, am I on the right track to get these drilled and
 tapped or is there an easier way that I am overlooking?

 Thanks in advance.

 Geezer >>------------------------------------------------------------

Geeze-
Try taking the windscreen off the car, and remove the bottom rubber seal. You
should see two small screws near each bottom corner. Remove/drill all four,
and you should be able to remove the bottom chrome channel. You should see the
corner brackets - about a 3/16" square steel - in each corner. If you cut this
piece you can then pull out the glass and attack the errant screws from the
backside.
May be a bit of a "scorched earth" approach but I know Moss sells new corner
brkts.
The screws go into a strip of steel w/ threaded holes. Some are for attachment
screws to the channel/frame and others for the stanchion screws.
Note there are different lengths of stanchion screws. Too long and you can
crack your windshield!
G'luck
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A