Re: California Emissions?

To: dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com
Subject: Re: California Emissions?
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:11:29 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dave,

As one who is active in CA emission statues, I can say I have good news and
not so good news.  Good news:  the TR3 is exempt from any CA emissions
laws.  All cars before model year 1974 are exempt from CA's smog
requirements.  You should be able to register and title the TR3 with ease.
(Assuming you have current valid title and rego from Ohio)

As for the 76 Spit, I you may have more trouble.  Definitely the emission
control equipment must be installed and working.  The EGR valve is a
problem area.  I would install it all anyway.  There was no special
equipment for CA cars.  All federal cars met CA specifications.

Now the tricky part will be to get the car running and leaned out
sufficiently for you to pass Smog II.  There are other people more
qualified on the list who can help you with this question.

Good luck.

Dave,
1970 TR6  PI  CP51649

Sorry to bomb both lists but, I am need of some answers to some
questions about getting a 76 federal spitfire and a TR3  licensed  in
California. I have just been offered a job in Santa Maria (north of
Santa Barbara)
Can a 1976 spitfire Federal version meet what ever standards are
required?
Presently it has a no emission equipment installed,  But I have
collected  all of the parts necessary except a functioning EGR valve.
The one I have has a bad diaphragm.  If I reinstall all of this ""stuff"
will it be able to pass?
On the TR3, it has Strombergs carburettors instead of the SU, will that
make any difference, what is the deal with older card  such as these?
Any other comments on the area or cost of living  will  be greatly
appreciated?
A big TIA to all,  and have a enjoyable Holiday weekend
Dave Simpson
NE Ohio for now ???