Woe Is Me (TR6 Problems)

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Woe Is Me (TR6 Problems)
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 19:26:08 EDT
Hi folks,

Well my TR6 ownership seems to be taking a turn for the worse.  I picked up my
rebuilt starter ($177 OUCH!!) on Friday and installed it without too much
trouble considering the limited space involved.  The car started right up but
it was late so I decided to wait until this morning to take it for its first
drive.  I drove the car for about ten minutes without incident, then headed
back home to get my drivers liscense which I had forgotten.  When I hopped
back into the car I found that I had lost all of my clutch pedal and couldn't
get it back into gear.  With the help of my Wife and Daughter, I was able to
push the car back into the garage.  I decided that maybe the slave cylinder
needed to be re-bled and would pick up some Castrol while I was out running
errands with my family.

I got the fluid while I was out and when I got home I had my Daughter help me
bleed the clutch.  We were successful and got full travel of the cylinder
again.  I then started the car and pressed in the clutch pedal and heard a
strange screeching sound coming from under the car.  Now I had fairly decent
clutch travel, but now with a loud screeching noise.  It's hard to describe,
but sounds like screeching with a rattling sound, like rocks thrown in.

If I had to diagnose this problem I would say that I need to rebuild or
replace the slave cylinder because I'm losing hydraulic pressure, and replace
the throwout bearing (and clutch while I'm at it) because of the loud screech
when I depress the pedal.  Does this sound like an accurate diagnosis?  Is
there possibly another reason for the screeching sound when I depress the
clutch?  I hate to tear into the transmission if I don't need to but I'm ready
for the worst.

As always, thanks in advance!

Scott Helms
Northern Indiana