Re: TR6 - TRAILING ARM STUDS

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 - TRAILING ARM STUDS
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 03:12:14 GMT
On 7 Sep 1998, john_mcmaster@dpa.act.gov.au wrote:

>      Has anyone any suggestions for improving the 'holding power' of the
>      trailing arm studs?  I've got about 3 on each side that are stripped
>      and I'm looking for suggestions for the best way to fix the problem.
>      All help/advice appreciated.

One simple answer: Heli-coils.

They are easy to insert yourself. Get the coils (including a couple of
extras) and the special tap.  Drill the hole with the suggested drill size
(or some 1/10 mm below if you use a hand held drill in aluminium). Then
tap, and insert the coil using a tool that you have made from a suitably
thin bolt with a cross cut for the tab in the top made by a hacksaw. When
inserted, break off the tab with another bolt and a very light hammer
blow.

The special tool is better, of course, but veeeery expensive.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway