Spit MKIV questions

To: "'Spitfire List'" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spit MKIV questions
From: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 17:31:03 -0400
Cc: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Comments: ( Received on motgate.mot.com from client mothost.mot.com, sender Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com )
Scions,
        I am trying to finish up the restoration on the 71 MKIV (1300) now
that the temps in Texas have dropped back into the 90's.
        What I am having a hard time locating is the correct way to connect
the accelerator return spring to the car. The car was dismantled when I
bought and came with a new spring in a box, so I have no reference. Now I
have the carb end figured out (no rocket science there) but what does the
other end hook into? I am not having much luck locally as most of the Spits
have been trashed over the years or the Stromberg removed and so I have no
example to go by. All the parts illustrations don't show where the spring
attached at the bottom so I have exhausted all my resources before taking
your time.
        Also I have never seen a car with a heat shield mounted to the
exhaust. Wouldn't this be desirable or is it not necessary. Did the MKIV
have one? There are 3 holes in the exhaust manifold for something.
TIA,
Richard Ceraldi
71 GT6 MKIII KF166L
71 Spitfire MKIV FK9365L