Re: coils

To: vafred@erols.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: coils
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 18:32:16 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-08 15:16:27 EDT, vafred@erols.com writes:

> Listers, I'm thinking of installing the = "Ignitor Elect. Ignition" = in
>  my T/R 3, my question = is there any need to also buy the 40,000 volt
>  coil, do I need this coil with this ign.,  is it better to have it than
>  not have it.

Fred,

No, the 40KV coil is not needed, as long as your car is running and starting
OK as it is now. Normally, the high voltage coil is only required if the rest
of the car isn't up to snuff, is highly modified, or is used for high
performance driving.

On a car as well maintained as yours, you won't see any difference in
performance, unless you really get the rpm up, well above the normal usage
range.

If you wish, you can extend the life of the plus by using the HV coil, by
leaving the plug gap set where it is. As the plugs wear, and the gap
increases, the HV coil will still fire them long after the stock coil would
have given up.

For more info on this, check out:  http://www.vtr.org/maintain/ballast.html

(BTW, your car does not have a ballast resister)

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74