Tire Alternatives

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tire Alternatives
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:12:41
>Time to re-tire the TR4A.  Wonder what brand/size folks are using nowadays.
>The folksl who sold me my last set of  165SR15 Michelin XZXs can no longer
>get them.  Coker has them for $93.00 each.  What are the alternatives?

Barry,

I recently bought a set of Coopers Sportmaster GLT tires in the 165R15
size.  I was undecided between the Dunlop SP20 and this Cooper tires.
Since they were both of similar construction and size, I elected to go with
the Cooper because of price.  I paid $33 each, $5 for Cooper tubes and $5
for mounting locally.  The guy is a wholesaler, who does retail on the
side.  His price for the Dunlops was about $40 each.  Also, $10/wheel for
spin balance of the wires at a local Eurotire store that had the wire wheel
adapter.

The Sportmasters are a mainstream radial for Cooper.  They feel solid in
the turns are smooth running on the open road.  When pushed hard, they will
begin to howl before they start sliding and they let go smoothly and
predictably. Overall, I am happy with them so far; but.... I've only had
them for about 300 miles.  I haven't even worn the molding nubs off yet.
There are a little louder (in straight running) than my old Uniroyal tires
though, I suspect they will break-in and quite down a little, as soon as
the tread blocks begin to wear on the trailing edges.  I am currently
running 28psi rear and 25 psi front.

I received some feedback on the Vredestein Sprints from one person on the
SAAB list (older SAABS used this size too) who felt the tires were harsh.
Clearly this was only one persons comments, but since this is a fun driver,
not a competition car I was reluctant to try this tire.  Vredestein Sprints
have only recently become available again in the USA, so there is not much
track record on them.

I found very little difference in tire construction or ratings (between
brands) in this size.  I spoke with most of the various manufactures
(Firestone, Dunlop, Cooper, Avon, Goodyear, Goodrich, Michelin and several
others.)  I didn't feel the need for a "period" look, instead I was looking
for a performance, three season tire for "spirited" driving and occasional
autocrossing.  I didn't find it. I ended up with the Cooper all season
radial, as I just couldn't find a performance tire, at a reasonable cost,
in this size.  But, as I said earlier, based on my limited use thusfar, the
Coopers are good.  I'm happy with them now, but the true test will be next
summer on the Autocross circuit.

Good luck,

Jack