Re: gt6 checkout

To: Gregory Mathews <n95265@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: gt6 checkout
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:12:46 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Gregory Mathews wrote:

> I am going to look at a gt6+ this weekend..i have read everything that i
> can lay my fingers on but would like some first hand insight as to what
> to look for/at.  These cars are few and far between in my area so to
> look at this car i will have to drive about 500 miles ot see it...i just
> want all my bases covered
>
> thanx
> gregory

Gregory:

You didn't say the general condition of the car you're looking at, but the GT6
transmission is notoriously weak, so if the unit hasn't been rebuilt
relatively recently, listen to it carefully.  If it's noisy, factor this into
your decision.  Check carefully for rust, particularly in the frame at the
junction of the front outrigger, and inside the bonnet's front seam.  Ditto the
floor
pans and battery box.   Also
inspect the rear hatch for signs of rust originating from the inside; rear
window seals can be leaky.  Watch for signs of overheating, which these cars
do easily -- if the car runs hot, the rad. and system may need attention.  With
the extra torque of the car, propeller shaft u-joints also can be a problem, so
listen
for these, and if you hear a *clink* upon taking up load, you'll be replacing
them soon.

Now, with all that said, if the car is solid and sorted out, you will enjoy
it aplenty.  Good luck ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6