Re: Painting a TR4

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Painting a TR4
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:49:22 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brad,

   I recommend doing what I did (as anybody would say)- that is, both.  Remove
the
fender, remove the surface rust (sandblasting is the best way), make your
repairs, then
put a healthy coat of paint on the back side.  For the front fenders, I
"improved" drainage
by increasing the dented in area of the rocker where water runs down between
the rocker
and the lower area of the fender.
  Then caulk the fenders and install them.  You should leave the doors on the
car as you do
all this, since they make excellent reference points for the re-attachment of
the fender. I would
even recommend leaving the doors on as you do the body work (rust patching,dent
filling, primering)
as the doors will guide you in the shaping of filler.
  Then remove the doors.  If you are planning on reskinnig them, do it with the
doors off. I repainted
my car with the doors off, so I could paint the jambs and rocker panel well, as
well as paint the interior
areas of the doors.  I suggest marking the doors (as to where the hinges are)
and removing the hinges.
It seems th factoryonly has primer underneath the area where the hinge bolts up.
  I plan on using a couple of blankets to protect the edges of the fenders and
the rocker panel when I  re-
install the doors, at least until I get the bolts tight- then when I do the
adjusting, I'll remove the blankets.
I think I'll put the guts into the doors after they are on, to make the lighter
during installation.

                                                        Joe IV
                                                        TR 250
                                               WALLINGFORD, CT. USA