Re: TR4 Engine Rebuilding- Bearing Test

To: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Engine Rebuilding- Bearing Test
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:48:13 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Brian,

One good easy test of your bearings is how is the oil pressure at idle?
If low, probably worn. Shows up at moderate RPMs too.

The TRF guy was telling you about Plastigauge. It is the most common
(not most accurate but probably more than adequate for your purposes)
method of determining the clearance in the bearings.

Here's the tricky part. I suggest you get a good manual before starting
this project. There are some very specific procedure to pulling the
bearing caps and these MUST be followed. For example, all bearings, caps
and bolts must be put back in the same place, same orientation. It is a
good idea to throw away bolts and install new. They must be torqued
correctly. There also is more extensive procedure on the reinstallation
of the rear main bearing cap and its seals. It is possible to upgrade,
but requires removing the crankshaft from the car and having some
machining done on it, and it ain't cheap.

The way plastigauge works is it is a precise thickness to begin with.
You take off the bearing cap, put a small piece of the plastigauge on
the bearing surface, put the bearing cap back on and torque it down.
Then disassemble again and compare the plastigauge to a little chart on
the paper package it came in. The width it has "squished" to tells you
the clearance inside the bearing.

The down side is you end up testing one location on the bearing and can
miss out of round problems.

It's a good idea to carefully inspect the bearing surfaces for gouges
and any other damage. You should also check the thrust bearings (for
example, the back & forth movement of the crankshats, lengthwise in the
engine).

If you have trouble finding the specs and procedures for your engine,
let me know off the list and I'll pass them along. I have a manual for
your car and mine.

A good mechanic with a stethascope may be able to help you diagnose the
problem to narrow down how much tear apart and more detailed testing you
really need to do. Again, it would be helpful to take along a manual, if
the mechanic isn't overly familiar with TRs.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602

--