Repatriating (Gasp!!!) TR's

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Repatriating (Gasp!!!) TR's
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:43:27 -0400
Cc: rtriplett@bjservices.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
And now, my thoughts!   ;-)

At 10:36 AM 9/17/98 -0400, Andrew Mace wrote:

>Just my own thoughts --
>
>On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 rtriplett@bjservices.com wrote:
>
>> ...I recently located a 59 TR3A with right hand drive, and was
>> wondering if this adds much to the value of the car.  I know
>> a rhd TR is pretty rare in the States...
>
>I suspect any extra value would be in "novelty"; said novelty of a RHD
>car might wear off pretty quickly in modern traffic, especially
>overtaking/passing other cars. As an occasional, primarily "country back
>roads" car, it might not be so bad.  Where RHD might add to the value is
>in "repatriating"  the car. We got a large percentage of production here
>as opposed to the home market. Lots of folk import and convert U.S. cars
>back to RHD, so this one would be all set to go over there!

Ever since our vacation to England this spring, I have had this dream:

Buy a decent RHD Triumph in the States or Canada. Make sure the mechanicals
are in good shape. Arrange a vacation to England, and ship the car so it
arrives a week or so before you do. Have a friend pick the car up at the
port, so it is ready for you when you get there.

You have the TR to drive around England. It's quite obvious the roads in
England were the inspiration behind the designs! Put a For Sale sign in the
window and enjoy your vacation. At the end of the trip, if you haven't sold
the car yet, have a backup plan ready. But I'd bet you would get a few
offers just campaigning around the countryside. Or, a slight variation of
the dream would be to advertise the car in England prior to your trip. Have
a few contacts ready to show the car to. Can't hurt.

The difference in the value of the TR between the States and England would
probably pay for the better part of your trip. It would certainly pay the
cost of shipping. And the experience of enjoying England in a TR would be
priceless.

Remember this plan is in dream stage. I have no idea what the realities
are, ie. import tariffs, insurance, registration, etc. But, from talking to
people at Gaydon, the prices people pay for solid drivers is incredible.

I can just imagine the flames for 'giving one back'...  ;-)
(If you feel the need, privately, please!)
 Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net - Connecticut, USA
 TR3B   TCF1927 L       Driver
 TR250  CD690 L         Soon to be Driver
 TR250  CD8096 L        Someday Driver
 TR250  CD1074 L        For Sale (soon!)

 Homepage         http://members.iconn.net/thefryes/