Now I am really befuddled

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Now I am really befuddled
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:40:50 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
When we last left the story I wasn't idling worth a dang after 15-20 minutes
on the freeway.  I noted it improved when the lights were off.  I measured
the input voltage to the coil and as the engine warmed the voltage dropped.
It started around 14.2 and slowly dropped to about 12.

So I took an hour off from work and picked up the replacement lifetime
warranty alternator and bolted the sucker up.  Ran GREAT!  Got on the
freeway to go to Court out in the 'burbs, got there, got off, died. Dead!
Would not restart.  Waited four or five minutes, fired right up, drove off,
but it was a very rough idle, almost dying every light.  Got to the
Courthouse, did my business (an hour or so), came out, fired right up, ran
GREAT!

Got on the freeway, drove home, exited xway, rolled straight into a gas
station to get a Coke, dead. Wouldn't restart.  Got the Coke, came out,
fired right up, but rough like before.

I noted that as I drove home on the freeway, as the engine got hotter it
deepened in sound, and although it was running fine with good acceleration I
could sense a gradual degradation.

Ok, now I am really befuddled.  Electrical? Carbs? Hot running = richer
mixture but better spark = better combustion. Or perhaps better spark=hotter
engine=too rich mixture at idle?

My kingdom for a decent idle after freeway driving.

GO BRAVES!

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK