Re: TR4 Wheel Camber

To: Schloss3@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Wheel Camber
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 21:59:18 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Paul,

Your front wheel camber should be 3 degrees positive.

Yours is an extremely early TR4. The first 6300 or so 4's had 0 degree
castor, after that 3 degree castor was achieved with different trunnion
and upper A-arms. However, the camber remained the same on all 4's at 3
degrees positive (wheels tilt out at the top). The 4A went to 2 degrees
40 min. Castor & camber are not easily adjustable on the 4, typically
require heating and bending the vertical link. The 4A went to a shim
system at the wishbone mounts to allow for adjustment, but at the cost
of some loss of strength at the inner mounts.

If you suspect your front end geometry is off, I suggest taking it to a
good suspension and frame pro (not just an alignment place, although
they could confirm whether or not you have a problem). Call around and
see if you can find someone with experience on this sort of suspension.

BTW, front toe-in should be 0" to 1/8".

I hope this helps.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.