Re: storing on jack stands or blocks-no no

To: gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spence@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: storing on jack stands or blocks-no no
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:26:56 EDT
In a message dated 10/2/98 6:37:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk writes:

> > It was found in the spring that the weight of the hanging suspension had
>  > stretched the coil springs such that the car rode noticeably higher than
>  > when it was put away. It took two full years for the springs to regain
>  > their original form. (thinking back, he may have replaced them ) Car
>  > belongs to a friend who has had it in the family since new (61) Has
>  > close to 300,000 on the clock(s?). Still uses it regularly.

So you're saying that the weight of the suspension stretched the springs and
the much greater weight of the car pressing down took 2 years to undo??

I don't think so...!

Especially since the coil springs aren't attached at the extremeties (ends) so
no stretching can occur!  By letting the suspension hang you are only taking
the load off.  The shock absorbers will limit the amount of suspension "hang".

So put your cars up in the air and give your springs and tires a breather, I
have for 25 years now with no ill effects.  If only your theory were true, my
Camaro wouldn't need new springs now!

Clark