It sounds to me like your regulator is fried. It should put
out a steady voltage in the high 13.x or maybe low 14.x 15 probably
isn't enough to boil you battery, but it will probably make the light come
on. These are exactly the symptoms my nissan alternator had when the it died,
except that it put out 17+ volts at 6000 rpm, causing the battery to boil
and the (electronic) tach to go wild. Picking up a new junkyard alt
fixed it for me. If you have a known good GM unit handy, I'd try it out.
You'd rather drive the 4 than a GM car, right ? ;-)
Malcolm Walker wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Reed Mideke wrote:
> > I'm sure you did this, but since you didn't mention it...
> > You have checked what your alternator is actually putting out
> > right ? The internal regulators do go bad sometimes. Light getting
> > progresivly brighter at higher revs could be a symptom of this.
> Yes, I can put out a maximum of 15 volts, and the voltage rises with the
> engine speed. (this is with lights, blower, wipers, etc on too)
> At idle with lights on I think I was putting out just under 12 volts
> (maybe it was closer to 11)
> I need to get a battery for my digital multimeter, then I will have better
> * There is a FAQ for this list! Its temporary home is:
Reed Mideke firstname.lastname@example.org