Re: Welders

To: "Jack R. Clark" <drjclark@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Welders
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 15:03:17 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Jack R. Clark wrote:

> I am in the market for a welder, and would like some advise. I have heard
> of the MIG with the flux core wire, which does not require a gas sheild
> from a separate tank.

This, and questions of similar flavor, are supposed to be covered in the
FAQ.  I just haven't done it yet :-)

> Has anyone used this setup and if so how did it work for you. What are the
> advantages and disadvantages. Or should i go with the inert gas equipped
> MIGs. (sounds like some new Russian fighter!)

Scuttlebut on the precinct says that these welders are OK but don't do
anything more than a stick welder (flux on the outside) can do.  You still
have to go at it afterwards with grinder/wire brush and clean all the goo
away.

Also, you'll have trouble welding thin metal; you NEED the sheilding gas.
I think it's because you need extra arc in order to vaporize the flux; in
doing so, you vaporize the base metal too.  You can probably get away with
it, but it will require more time, patience, and "training" (practice).

My vote is for the bottle-fed MiG.  That's what I will get if the
financial gods ever smile upon me.  Right now they are cackling evilly.

BTW I had the chance to see some textbook welds (sadly, couldn't see them
in progress)- they were TiG welds, done by an instructor at BCIT (BC
institute of technology I think).  It looked like he'd taken a caulking
gun and put a bead of steel on.  *sigh*

The fellow makes go-karts & so has all sorts of fun toys.  I might see how
much it would cost to have a frame made up (for my next, not-bought-yet TR
project ;-))

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm