Re: Subject: Z-S 175's in a GT6

To: Scott Swanberg <sswan60@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Subject: Z-S 175's in a GT6
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:07:08 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Scott Swanberg wrote:

> Martin,
> Ditto,  I've often wondered the same thing.  All I can guess is that the
> 175's were more of an export item and because of their pollution stuff,
> not as tunable as the SU's.  The Triumphtune cataloge kind of makes
> reference to this when it addresses putting SU's on repatrioted export
> cars.  I would think that if you could find some straight 175 CD's with
> the idle adjusting screw on the bottom that it would work just as well.
> I've been keeping an eye open for such.  Are there such 175 Strombergs
> around?
>
> One more thing on this thread, do you know if any intake manifold work
> is required with this type of set up?  I would think that a manifold
> sized for 150's would be restrictive for the 175's unless it was opened
> up a little.  Or are the carbs the main controlling factor in the intake
> system?

Good question.  I infer from the fact that Triumphtune makes an
adaptor -- which attaches to the stock manifold to allow fitting
HS6 SU's -- that the manifold isn't the critical bore, but the
one in the carb is.  But certainly there are LOTS of 175's sitting
around, from all those trashed TR6's.  I've seen 'em.  I think it
would be a neat upgrade to a tuned GT6 engine, partly because at
first glance, you might not even notice that 175's were installed.

But I don't want to tilt at windmills.  The carbs are the last
item in my performance upgrade list for the GT6, and when I get to them,
I'll probably fit HS6's.  I like SU's -- wonderfully simple.  I had HS4's
on my Spitfire.  Occasionally, you do see TR6 owners
who have installed large SU's, and some swear by them.
--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6