Re: Boy Racer Subject #45: Ram Pipes?

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Subject: Re: Boy Racer Subject #45: Ram Pipes?
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 10:49:46 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Michael D. Porter wrote:

> M. Secrest wrote:
> >
> > So, who in the class would like to discuss ram pipes?
> >
> > Please address what ram pipes are, how they work, and whether they
> > are desirable.  In 500 words or less.
>
> Ram pipes are a means of adjusting airflow, quite simply. Tuned pipe
> theory, generally speaking, suggests that air flow into and out of an
> engine is dependent upon tuned intake and exhaust lengths. The ram pipe,
> so-called, is a means of adjusting that tuned length on the intake side.
> Unless you have some very good empirical data, or are a wizard with the
> formulas for calculating tuned lengths, ram pipes, or as I believe you
> are referring, inlet horns, are a try-and-see proposition. For a very
> good discussion of this, try to find a copy of _The Design and Tuning of
> Competition Engines_ by Philip Smith (most recently published by
> Bentley's, I think--if your local library does not have it, ask them to
> search for it through interlibrary loan). Philip Smith also wrote many
> British car maintenance manuals in the AutoBook series. The theory is
> just too long and varied to do in 500 words, Martin. <g>
>
> Cheers.

Thanks to Andy, Mike and Michael for their reasoned responses.  All
of you get a star for the day, and clapping-erasers duty will go to
someone else this week.

This is even more interesting than I anticipated, and makes sense even
to my dull sensibilities.  K&N offers an "inlet horn" for use inside
their filters -- does anyone have an opinion as to their validity?
I imagine they would smoothe the intake transistion a bit ...

##