Re: Troubleshooting an alternator

To: nosimport@mailbag.com
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting an alternator
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 21:19:12 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< Don't do it!!!
        Disconnecting an ALTERNATOR whilst the car is running WILL harm it. An
 alternator requires input voltage FROM the battery in order to be able to
 charge. Disconnecting that input voltage almost always destroys the
 diodes(rectifier)... that crackling sound you hear.
 Ken, that is a valid test with a GENERATOR only.
 Peter C (still w/o benefit of a Triumph) >>

If you read my post again you may notice I said to disconnect the BATTERY not
the alternator.
You're forgiven.

Ken Nuelle