Re: BRG paint/Red

To: daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com
Subject: Re: BRG paint/Red
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:40:19 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

Part of the reason the color red is so expensive to mix is the cost of the
dyes that have been used to replace the original formulas that contained lead
which was outlawed.  Some say that duplicating the original colors suffered a
little bit because of this.

Scott

<< Hi,
        Red is the most expensive to produce pigment, which means most
 manufacturers cut corners and use less pigment in their red paints (or
 so my wife tells me - she did some work for a well known paint company
 as a placement on her Chemistry degree). I've seen several Signal Red
 Heralds bleached completely white on the top surfaces - and that's here
 in the UK! God help if you live in California!
        Cheers,
                Bill.

 Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

 > I'm not so sure the factory was able to duplicate the color all that
 > closely
 > from batch to batch.  I've been told that colors, red especially, will
 > vary
 > even from the same batch, simply due to the varying environmental
 > temperatures, moisture in the air, etc... Red also has a tendance to
 > fade more
 > quickly than other colors, so if one car has spent more time in the
 > sun, it
 > will be more faded.
 >
 > Scott

 --  >>