Re: TR6 clutch problem/Brake Fluids

To: tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au
Subject: Re: TR6 clutch problem/Brake Fluids
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 08:12:08 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< >Also, make sure you know what kind of brake fluid is in your system before
you
 >add any.  If it's silicone brake fluid (DOT5), it will not mix with water,
if
 >it is "not" silicone, it will mix with water.  Do the drop in the glass of
 >water trick.

 I have to fix my clutch system when the new hydraulic hose arrives.  Is
 there any advantage in converting to silicone and what precautions are
 necessary?

 Trevor Jordan
 74 TR6 CF29281U >>

Hi Trevor,

Well, this subject always seems to be very opinionated, but here's my opinion.
As far as converting goes, the only way to really do this correctly, is to
tear all the components apart and clean out all the old fluid because the two
different types of brake fluid supposedly don't mix well.

The advantage of silicone fluid (DOT 5), is that when it gets on your paint
job, it won't strip the paint.  The disadvantage is that it is more
compressable than DOT 3 or 4, and your brakes will feel a little more
squishey.  I've been told that this is due to air bubbles getting trapped in
the fluid, therefore if you do use DOT 5, be sure not to shake the container
prior to use, because air bubbles will form, and they seem to stay suspended
within the fluid for whatever reason.  There's also been testimonies about DOT
5 not being compatable with some of the old rubber, so that's a concern, but
I've never had a problem with any of the new components that I've used.

DOT 3 & 4 will absorb water like a sponge, therefore when you are checking the
fluid, it is best not to open the system on a very humid day.  That is also
why it is a good idea to give your system a transfusion every two or three
years, to get all the water out of the system, otherwise you'll have corrosion
problems.  DOT 5 doesn't absorb water, but that doesn't mean that you won't
get water in the system, which is caused by condensation.

In my opinion, if you are rebuilding the entire system anyway, then it might
make sense to make the change if you're a believer in DOT 5, and have an
expensive paint job.  If you're already using the other, I would stick with it
and make sure you don't dribble any on the paint.

Now I'll sit back and read the rest of the opinions.....

Scott Helms
'57 BN4
'76 TR6