Re: TR4 & TR4A Fan belts

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 & TR4A Fan belts
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:34:39 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Brad, sounds as if someone has put oversize mounts in it.  If everything
> else is Ok - i.e. if the hood closes without hitting the engine and the
> pullys are lined up - you are fine.  Cheers.

After doing some further research on this I've found a 1/4" difference in the
replacement mounts that I got from TRF and the mounts currently on the
car. TRF's is 1 1/4" tall and the ones in the car are 1 1/2" tall.   In
appearance
the two sets of mounts look identical until you hold a tape measure to them.

If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have bothered to check the difference
in height before I swapped the old mounts for the new.

Is it possible that some where during the run of TR4's they changed the
height of the engine mount?  Not knowing the history of the car I don't
know if the motor mounts are original to the car or not.  Their overall
condition says its possible.

I think in this situation I'll take some advice I got from Justin Wagner many
months ago and install a 1/8" flat washer under the mount before installing
the new ones.  That should solve that problem nicely.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/3/98)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire 1500 FM3353U
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1959 TR3A TS41311L
1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108