Re: electric oil pressure gauges

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: electric oil pressure gauges
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:54:37 -0500 ()
Cc: Scions of the Cross-Pollinated Brussel Sprout <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Peter Zaborski wrote:

> Recently, the topic of using an electric oil pressure gauge (to replace
> a mechanical one) was discussed. Looking at a "sample" gauge wiring
> diagram in the Holden Vintage & Classic catalog, it seems that they
> recommend placing the electric oil pressure gauge at a 12v supply...
> Does anyone know why the oil pressure gauge is treated differently from
> the water temp and fuel level gauges? I'm quite curious (and admittedly
> know nothing about how a electric oil pressure gauge works). Is it
> because the oil pressure sender has the ability to make the same
> adjustment a voltage stabilizer does for the other two gauges? (If so,
> this might explain the relatively high cost of the oil pressure sender).

Offhand I'd say that you wouldn't want the oil pressure gauge to run
through a voltage stabilizer, as you'd want the oil pressure gauge to
respond INSTANTLY to a severe drop in oil pressure. The "stabilized"
gauges (fuel and temp.) don't do that, taking a bit of time to reach their
measured reading. They don't NEED to, as neither running out of gas or
loss of coolant is as likely to cause quick, irreversible damage; at the
same time, they're more readily sensed as they happen with or without a
warning gauge.

--Andy