Re: Ken Gano/Geranium

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ken Gano/Geranium
From: donp@ncweb.com (Don Pikovnik)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 17:10:14 -0500 (EST)
>Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 23:29:41 -0600
>From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
>Subject: sex, politics, religion and color
>

>Having watched, and occasionally contributed to this list for a little over
>4 years, I feel justified in suggesting that color is another of hose topics
>best not discussed in the officers mess.
>
>While looking through some old material recently I noticed Triumph at one
>time offered a door casing (part #552884, among others) in a color called
>"Geranium."
>
>Well, for the life of me, I couldn't remember what a geranium looked like.
>Never fear, it's December and the Gurney's catalog is next to the commode.
>A quick look revels two geraniums.  One is a very red shade of purple.  The
>other (called Johnson's Blue Geranium) is a definite blue with but the
>slightest tint of red.
>
>Well, which shade better describes what was used on our cars?  Either could
>make a striking contrast color.  I've heard some of the horror stories
>regarding color combinations.  I can only visualize geranium and yellow.
>
>Ken Gano
>downstate illinois
>'59 TR3A TS57756L
>'58 TR10 TBE9239LDLB

Ken,

When I started my color book project, I received some old Dockers color
cards from John Twist at University Motors that had three of the rarest
Triumph colors (IMO), Geranium, Ice Blue, and Olive Yellow.  These of course
are paint colors, not trim.

Geranium is red, quite a muddy version, almost a deep dirty pink, but red
nonetheless.  ICI has matched all three of these colors in a single layer
urethane called "2K" and added the colors to their database.  Admittedly,
the match was done to an old color card, not an original sample, but I
thought something was better than nothing.

The colors can be mixed by any ICI supplier.  I have the ICI paint codes at
the shop and can post them if anyone is interested.  None of three colors
floats my boat, but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Yours truly,

Don Pikovnik
Coloramic Process, Inc.